Re: [proaudio] 2.6.17-rt8 kernel does not boot

Each motherboard is a particular case with IRQ. With my board, it was
always booting, but crashing from time to time. I go with the APIC
interface, but even here it was still some sharing. But I did get it
very stable. It was only my webcam that was crashing the system, and as
I almost don't use it, I don't care of it until recently. I try the PIC
interface, because I was reading at it is more efficient as the APIC
(less overun). At the end, I am even able to use the webcam without
crash, but it was necessary to disable the acpi in order to win an IRQ.
And it was a "good" IRQ, the 9. The result is at I have a more stable
system as ever before with the PIC, and at I am even able to use the 3D
driver with my nvidia card (that use an IRQ when the 2D driver don't
use an IRQ).

If you look in the BIOS, you can assign some IRQ, but it is only
possible with the PIC interface, not with the APIC. I don't know all
this hardware design, but the APIC is more as a supplementary level
above the PIC as a real new hardware design. So, its great at your box
is running now, but if you get some instability, especially system
crash when accessing the hardware, it will be a clue like what this IRQ
problem is not completely solved. In some cases, it can be a
conflict between 2 drivers, as example with a nvidia card, you must
choose during the kernel configuration if you want to use the free 2D
driver or the nvidia driver, and use and compile only one of those
drivers.

Dominique