Re: [proaudio] 2.6.17-rt8 kernel does not boot

I think at it is a hardware IRQ sharing problem. RT-kernel don't like
it. You have 2 devices that share the same IRQ.

You must look in the bios to see if you can reassign the IRQ, or try to
move some cards from slot to slot. You can also boot the vanilla kernel
and look at the output of

cat /proc/interrupts

It will show you the shared IRQ. acpi=off is a good option with a
realtime kernel. The acpi system will be disabled and it will spare an
IRQ that will be avaible for other hardware.

Dominique

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 12:10:29 -0700
"Mark Knecht" <markknecht@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So does this only happen with -rt kernels? Can you boot successfully
> with gentoo-sources-2.6.17-r4 or better yet with 2.6.17 from
> kernel.org since that is what 2.6.17-rt8 is patched against?
>
> Maybe post back the output of lspci and we can talk about the hardware
> a bit, assumign you do have a kernel that boots at all.
>
> -Mark
>
> On 8/28/06, Mark Tombs <mark.tombs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Right, tried disabling various things. As NET was the last message,
turned
> > off all networking support.  Still no luck. Then turned off PCI
support.
> > Still no luck.  Tried using 2.6.16-rt29. Same thing.  At a loss.
> >
> > Mark.
> >

> > On 8/28/06, Mark Knecht <markknecht@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Should have known. It's a Dell. No AMD there.....
> > >
> > > Could this be that you didn't get the right chipset support into
your
> > kernel?
> > >
> > > You might also try some boot time options like acpi=off, etc.
You'd
> > > have to look up the correct options and how to do it. You can put
> > > those into the command line in grub before you choose to boot so
they
> > > are very easy to try out.
> > >
> > > Good luck,
> > > Mark