Re: [hatari-devel] MODE SENSE patch

Am Sun, 20 Mar 2022 09:12:37 +0100
schrieb Uwe Seimet <Uwe.Seimet@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi,
>
> > So it would be better to have one patch to update the magic constants, one
> > patch to fix mode sense, etc.
>
> I know what you mean, but it would have made everything even more
> complicated from my perspective.

Well, if you squash everything together into one patch, it gets more
complicated for the maintainers of a project - review is more difficult,
bi-secting is more difficult later for debugging ... thus every non-trivial
project that I know (and I'd say that Hatari is non-trivial, too) requires
contributors to split up non-trivial patches. But maybe I'm also just
contributing to the wrong projects ;-)

> It took very long for my first patch to
> be reviewed, and at that time there were already other minor changes in my
> pipeline.

It's perfectly fine to juggle multiple patches in a git branch.
Interactive rebases ("git rebase -i") are your friends!

> Anyway, please just discard all of my recent patches.

Fortunately, the hunks in your big patch were pretty much independent, so I
was at least able to split out the fix for mode sense in there.