Re: [hatari-devel] Hatari and OUTSIDE (virtual memory manager)

Am 08.10.2018 um 19:11 schrieb Uwe Seimet <Uwe.Seimet@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi,
>
>> did you try outside too ?
>
> OUTSIDE is very instable, crashes the system very often. Considering
> that OUTSIDE make much more use of the PMMU than ROMSPEED does, it's
> unlikely that OUTSIDE will work when ROMSPEED does not.
>
> I think I already asked this, but no one responded: Is the PMMU
> emulation actually complete, including function codes, master stack pointer,
> stack frames etc.? How has the emulation been tested?

68030 MMU emulation was made for Previous (NeXT Computer emulator), but I did not intend to write some minimalistic emulation just to make NeXTstep happy. When I wrote 68030 MMU emulation I tried to make it complete using Motorola's data sheets. Some code was added later by Toni: checking for illegal instructions (addressing, illegal combinations of parameters) and handling of cache (Previous does not use cache emulation).
Of course I can't guarantee that some bug hides in the code, but there are no parts missing intentionally. NeXTstep uses quite a lot of the MMU features and works fine.