[hatari-devel] Palette register handling in TT emulation

I'm working on improving TT video support in EmuTOS and I'm using Hatari 1.9
under Linux for testing.

I was trying to understand the interaction between the ST(e)-compatible palette
registers and the TT palette registers, so I wrote a test program and ran it on
my TT.  It seems that (assuming the bank# in the TT shifter control is 0), the
first 16 TT palette registers map directly to the ST(e)-compatible registers,
and vice versa.

If that's correct, then I think that Hatari is doing it wrong.  When I write to
e.g. 0x00ff8242 (ST palette register 1), the word at 0x00ff8402 (TT palette
register 1) isn't updated immediately.  Similarly, writing to TT Palette
register 1 doesn't update ST palette register 1 immediately.  This is different
from real hardware.

Roger Burrows