Re: [hatari-devel] Gamma correction

----- Miro Kropáček wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 7:42 PM, David Savinkoff <dsavnkff@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Gamma correction is critical when rotating, warping or scaling
> > a picture (especially smaller). If a picture is simply scaled up
> > by an integer factor, gamma correction is not used on any pixels
> > (re-sampling causes aliasing, thus the need for gamma correction).
> >

> Where this definition comes from? As far as I know, the following is the
> common definition and it does apply to all emulators, regardless of scaling:
>
> *It defines the relationship between a pixel's numerical value and its
> actual luminance. Without gamma, shades captured by digital cameras
> wouldn't appear as they did to our eyes (on a standard monitor).*
>
> --
> MiKRO / Mystic Bytes
> http://mikro.atari.org

Gamma is affected by the things I mentioned, and more. Gamma may
be different for different devices (monitors etc.). Gamma is not Hatari's
problem if Hatari doesn't do the things I mentioned. If SDL2 scales
things, that is SDL2 business. If your monitor is bad, that is not Hatari's
problem.

I'm a minimalist and I don't want Hatari to do more than it should.
Hatari only needs to select numbers that represent its limited
color palette (or better yet: DAC voltages).