Re: [hatari-devel] Regressions in 1.9.0 and current dev

Le 10/11/2015 17:00, Anders Eriksson a écrit :

Hello,

a few regressions have been found in 1.9.0 and the current development
version.

1. The new demo by Ghost / Phalanx (yes, THAT Phalanx) released this
weekend works flawlessly on 1.8.0 and on real hardware. But on 1.9.0 it
would seem like the top border screws up now and then which in return
takes the rest with it (it's a fullscreen). In the current dev version
(from nov 3 that Bob compiled) the problem is the same, but much more
severe. The dev-version uses the new WinUAE core.

Demozoo: http://demozoo.org/productions/148711/

Hi

thanks for pointing this, there was indeed a 4 cycles error when starting timer A and using 68000 in cycle exact mode. This is now fixed and the demo runs flawlessly now (but the top border removal routine used in this demo looks a little "too strictly timed" to me, the 2 STOP 2100 used in a row to get at the correct spot to do the 60/50 Hz switch can happen at the same time as the HBL interrupt itself, which is OK, but there's no real safety margin in case an STE would have a slightly different MFP or cpu clock)

2. In Hatari 1.9.0 When video recording the new demo by Spiceboys, the
recording ends after the 3D-polygon screen (just before the Sinatra
picture). The demo switches to medres at that time which could affect
it. I got Hatari max size to 832*624 so the med/low thing shouldn't
matter as the frames are the same size. In 1.8.0 this works fine. In the
currect dev-version it seems to work as well. So it's a regression of
1.9.0 that is perhaps fixed now. Not sure if it's worth looking at anymore.

Demozoo: http://demozoo.org/productions/148713/

Need to test this ; maybe that was a problem with the OSX version ?

3. No regression, but a progression! Zorro / Ghost have a retina Macbook
and the performance have been dreadful for Hatari. It's a quadcore i7
with Nvidia 650 (I think)  and it doesn't stand a chance to show Hatari
without major frameskips. But now with Bobs SDL2 build, it runs fluid on
the retina. Yehoo. There are many other issues with SDL2, but the
performance is at least going the right way.

I'm sure SDL2 is the way to go for better performance and extra effect (shaders for CRT like effect, more zoom options, ...). It just needs some more time as it still "fresh" :)

4. I noticed that the current build from Nov 3 is a lot slower than
1.9.0 (and lower) to render a BMP AVI-stream. Perhaps it's just a matter
of optimizations setting for the build.

Can't tell, there was no change to this part. Maybe some different libraries/framework versions in the OSX build ?