|Re: [eigen] New Eigen users forum!|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [eigen] New Eigen users forum!
- From: "Benoit Jacob" <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 16:52:00 -0500
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=lpAWpNFmoWSQ2lyDmdb7I3sOjskzyhav2vbxyY3x/wQ=; b=j2m2JpasIGvwaLBcN2bsF000t9Ki/faSIlFgXvfyNqX2U2Vaok6I6QuCJFD5YJSE3P orzrRNHAg9HzEwHXmPmjnbSUUnTTZ7ex6uX3uIeWJDoK8lHCldYytosDy7ca8mu0tD37 HvIhbeFsSdSpxneM5OrSxaTCPdgC77+xmLF4s=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition :references; b=QIAR+UaFrXbKW1DtxIBfb4L67mzJtjkhOUt5HLip1k7sSZbOytC9B8HCjQljq32v+k OJiPeilN0msyca76aAkUl2bup2TWMdIshesrkRo4eZY6B7ycLho0ECTW3CLOH/Ly/Pis IIJKSU88yPc4C3dr7EaEmp9mAZycgsWt4IiCA=
My reasons for creating the forum is that
1) it has a much lower barrier to entry than a mailing list especially
as our mailing list requires subscription (made necessary by spam).
2) it is common to see users helping each other on a forum, but all
the -users mailing lists i've seen were just the developers helping
3) a forum is plainly better suited for the task than a mailing list:
better view of and search in past messages.
If you had been logged in IRC on #eigen and #avogadro the past few
days you'd have seen the amount of user support demand that motivated
me to open this forum :) It is from IRC that I want to redirect
traffic, not that much from the mailing list.
As I said in the first message, i really want the mailing list to keep
as usual for all development / bugs / patches. For the rest I reply to
personnally i've been using forums like opengl.org long long before i dared to
2008/12/17 Keir Mierle <mierle@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Is having a separate forum really a good idea? It seems the eigen community
> is pretty small. Wouldn't it be better to encourage traffic on this list
> instead of balkanizing discussion?
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 12:52 PM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>
>> Hi List,
>> We just opened a users forum here:
>> I'm trying to get people to use it for getting support with using
>> Eigen. Ideally we'd have a community of users able to help each
>> other... Until that's the case at least I am reading the forum and
>> will answer questions; that's far less time-consuming for me than
>> IRC (i'm easily distracted away from work).
>> Of course IRC and this mailing list continue as usual! The mailing
>> list is perfect for discussing eigen development, asking a licensing
>> question, reporting a bug, submitting a patch; IRC is great for a
>> friendly chat or a very interactive technical discussion, but we can't
>> always be online.