|Re: [eigen] New Eigen users forum!|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [eigen] New Eigen users forum!
- From: "Benoit Jacob" <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 17:02:47 -0500
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=lw5UsjYbj/qM22ch+zsgTq7Eb2nE/dYrjMrOjKAFWyA=; b=hvV3hWqDAuI0gH1rRXUyRuea3ELV/k7WwnD3sNeOexrVHMbuWOBaPNU35z606YFwE6 mM2iAEO26UkhvUpj0sQ/DYziiy56aheHBsBfltRqWvsMfEWraUcMEqlspyGX2ZRntrfa XiDcle+HaqTOSU7uLxMpVKzwMZNR16MsHCwaQ=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition :references; b=mkCY2LmgNGRa4xVlyl84G5WOviWcj5m4IObXFYO/2dHsRFn+QXTm7eXWKQaGSEYzVQ XccAG22YGxpFnao+lFkNUIwDhSdRsXcbt0AZm0bQRKqyZNC1Kwqp4iigMc5NaPcrM2F6 /ZwFZ/IrGz2OfL10nMzumG78vYyy6ErlW+F+g=
I wouldn't go that far, there are good reasons why most projects stick
with mailing lists for their own development discussions. Don't even
know where to start...
0) guarantee that everybody gets your message. the only way to
guarantee that with a forum is... email notifications!
1) ability to use my own favorite email software (or webmail) rather
than being forced to go to a specific website. Eigen development is
just more important to me than Eigen usage is to most Eigen users.
2) ability to have a local copy of email for offline usage
3) ability to CC people
no really i don't think that forums are as good as mailing lists for
For user support the criteria become completely different...
2008/12/17 Kenneth Riddile <kfriddile@xxxxxxxxx>:
> I actually prefer forums to mailing lists for persisted discussions. I would go so far as to suggest a development sub-forum for persisted development discussions, and still having IRC around for real-time collaboration. I don't see a mailing list being necessary, except maybe as an archive for existing discussions.
> -Kenny Riddile
> --- On Wed, 12/17/08, Keir Mierle <mierle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> From: Keir Mierle <mierle@xxxxxxxxx>
>> Subject: Re: [eigen] New Eigen users forum!
>> To: eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Date: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 3:11 PM
>> Is having a separate forum really a good idea? It seems the
>> eigen community
>> is pretty small. Wouldn't it be better to encourage
>> traffic on this list
>> instead of balkanizing discussion?
>> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 12:52 PM, Benoit Jacob
>> > Hi List,
>> > We just opened a users forum here:
>> > http://forum.kde.org/eigen-f-74.html
>> > I'm trying to get people to use it for getting
>> support with using
>> > Eigen. Ideally we'd have a community of users able
>> to help each
>> > other... Until that's the case at least I am
>> reading the forum and
>> > will answer questions; that's far less
>> time-consuming for me than
>> > IRC (i'm easily distracted away from work).
>> > Of course IRC and this mailing list continue as usual!
>> The mailing
>> > list is perfect for discussing eigen development,
>> asking a licensing
>> > question, reporting a bug, submitting a patch; IRC is
>> great for a
>> > friendly chat or a very interactive technical
>> discussion, but we can't
>> > always be online.
>> > Cheers,
>> > Benoit
>> > ---