Re: [AD] About sonames

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 11:50:38 +0200, Tobias Hansen <tobias.han@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am 12.04.2012 10:27, schrieb Peter Wang:
> >
> > Users are not supposed to use any private symbols so you can just
> > disregard them, no?
> >

> Yes, that should be possible. Now that you have confirmed that really
> everything with an underscore is private and not used by anything except
> Allegro itself (also for Allegro 4.4?), we can disregard it based on the
> underscore.

For 5.x yes.  All _al-prefixed symbols are private.

For 4.x, there are a number of _symbols which are part of the public API
(documented).  There are also a number of _symbols which are technically
private but probably somewhat commonly used by users anyway.
The good old days ;-)

We wouldn't add any more public symbols beginning with underscore.
Anyway, 4.4 is on life support.  The API is essentially frozen forever.

Peter