[AD] About sonames

we (Andreas Rönnquist and myself) are packaging Allegro 5 and 4.4 for
Debian right now.

You are using the first two parts of your version number (5.0/4.4) as
library sonames. The thing with shared libraries is that the soname
should only change when binary compatibility breaks and binary
compatibility should not break without changing the soname. That is why
most libraries use sonames independent of the version number and the
soname ideally changes very rarely. While changing the soname too often
only leads to more work for us (updating and recompiling games more
often than necessary), missing to change the soname when necessary leads
to more serious problems. So my first question is: Do you assign your
version numbers with this in mind, so that using them as sonames is
feasible? Do you always keep the libraries binary compatible when
changing the third part of the version? Does binary compatibility
usually break when you change the second part of the version? Otherwise
would you consider using sonames independent from the versions?

Also I reviewed the copyright of Allegro 5 in this file:
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-games/allegro5.git;a=blob;f=debian/copyright;hb=HEAD
If I missed some files which have different copyright, please let me know.

You can see the patches we applied to Allegro 5 and 4.4 here:
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-games/allegro5.git;a=tree;f=debian/patches;hb=HEAD
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-games/allegro4.4.git;a=tree;f=debian/patches;hb=HEAD
Some are only needed by us, but others may be suitable to be adopted by you.

Best regards,
Tobias Hansen