Re: [AD] ex_menu crash in Windows

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 19:15:36 +1100, Peter Wang <novalazy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 18:06:21 -0600, Matthew Leverton <meffer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 5:07 AM, Elias Pschernig
> > <elias.pschernig@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > We probably could even draw our own menus, hooking into the input code
> > > and into al_flip_display. Since that would be somewhat hackish a
> > > better idea would be to slightly adapt the AP for itI, but anyway,
> > > this would then go into the territory of an actual GUI addon...
> > >
> > The native dialog should be restricted to things that are outside the
> > context of what goes on in a display's back buffer. I don't see any
> > reason to try to emulate native menus or add support for any type of
> > widget.
> >
> > On the flip side, an Allegro GUI add-on might hook into the native
> > dialogs to display menus if available.
> >
> > > Somewhat related, I think it would be nice having an ex_gtk and an
> > > ex_qt example, showing how to make Allegro draw into an OpenGL widget
> > > of either (and re-route gtk/qt input back to Allegro).
> > >
> > Is it easily possible to do something like this?
> >
> > al_set_new_display_option(ALLEGRO_GTK, 2, ALLEGRO_REQUIRE);
> >
> > If not, what about something like this in the native dialog addon?
> >
> > al_create_gtk2_display(w, h);
>
> If we implement the XEmbed protocol then Allegro windows should work
> well inside almost any GUI toolkit, I think.
>
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/xembed-spec/xembed-spec-latest.html

Ok, did that, or at least made a start.  We'll probably want a way to
create an unmapped window to embed elsewhere.  I just ran an Allegro
program, then got the window ID out of allegro.log and passed it to
socket.py from:

http://www.moeraki.com/pygtktutorial/pygtk2tutorial/sec-PlugsAndSockets.html

Peter