Re: [AD] Display options that aren't really options

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Milan Mimica <milan.mimica@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 9 June 2010 02:39, Thomas Fjellstrom <tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I wasn't aware that that would make a real difference to the hardware. Max
> texture size is max texture size is it not?

No one can say for sure. There is also OpenGL3+ which could
expose/hide some features...

Yes, I think it should be per-display. My impression was multi-monitor setups with multiple graphics cards already work, so this means one of my three fullscreen displays likely would have a smaller max texture size.

Maybe we should allow requesting minimum bitmap size with:
al_set_new_display_option(ALLEGRO_MAX_BITMAP_SIZE, <value>, ALLEGRO_REQUIRED)
Then al_create_display() could give you D3D, OpenGL or some third
driver if you don't specify a flag. That would be neat. It's same for
some other options. After all, users should not care which driver is
being used as long as they get all the required features.

True. It's the same as other options really. So if you want display creation to simply fail if it doesn't allow 2048x2048 textures set it to REQUIRED.