Re: [AD] Display options that aren't really options

On June 9, 2010, Elias Pschernig wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Milan Mimica <milan.mimica@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> > On 9 June 2010 02:39, Thomas Fjellstrom <tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I wasn't aware that that would make a real difference to the
> > > hardware.
> >
> > Max
> >
> > > texture size is max texture size is it not?
> >
> > No one can say for sure. There is also OpenGL3+ which could
> > expose/hide some features...
>
> Yes, I think it should be per-display. My impression was multi-monitor
> setups with multiple graphics cards already work, so this means one of my
> three fullscreen displays likely would have a smaller max texture size.

I'm not sure how that works though. Most times people just enable things
like SLI, and then the second card is just a second GPU and the outputs
don't get used. To be honest, I'm not sure how windows supports a dual card
config, with acceleration on both cards and all heads. I have my doubts on
if you can properly setup DX on all displays.

On X such a setup is hard to pull off I think. Lots of custom xorg.conf
setup, and no moving windows back and forth (enabling true xinerama on that
setup will use up a lot of vram for sharing X pixmaps and other data). And
I'm not sure how well the 3d stack handles acceleration on all heads.

> > Maybe we should allow requesting minimum bitmap size with:
> > al_set_new_display_option(ALLEGRO_MAX_BITMAP_SIZE, <value>,
> > ALLEGRO_REQUIRED)
> > Then al_create_display() could give you D3D, OpenGL or some third
> > driver if you don't specify a flag. That would be neat. It's same for
> > some other options. After all, users should not care which driver is
> > being used as long as they get all the required features.
>
> True. It's the same as other options really. So if you want display
> creation to simply fail if it doesn't allow 2048x2048 textures set it to
> REQUIRED.

Thats not such a bad idea.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom