Re: [AD] Switch to git?

On 2009-03-02, Evert Glebbeek <eglebbk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2 mrt 2009, at 16:42, Elias Pschernig wrote:
> > Given how some of us already access the SVN repository over git-svn,
> > would it make sense for us to switch over to using only git?
> >
> > For me personally, it would make no difference whatsoever I think.
> > For a
> > project like Allegro a central repository is best anyway - so the only
> > change would be the use of local git tools instead of svn, which I
> > already get with git-svn... what do others think?
>
> I've never used git and have no current plans to start doing so.
> Switching Allegro over to git would present a barrier for me to
> continue work on Allegro simply because I have no experience in using
> git.
> Not something that cannot be overcome (it can't be *that* hard to
> switch to a different version control system), but it takes an effort
> I wouldn't necessarily feel like taking at the moment.
>
> So to emphasise: I have no thoughts on git one way or the other, but I
> also am not going to put in the time and effort it would take me to
> get acquainted with it for the time being. I have other things to do
> with my time.
>
> So I would prefer to keep things the way they are in that regard.

Even developers using git-svn can find themselves with svn but not
git/git-svn (say, on a machine that is not your own), and git really
doesn't work as well as svn on Windows last time I checked.  Also there
may be quite a few non-developers who would like to check out the
repository -- they are more likely to have and know svn than git-svn.

Peter