Re: [AD] Status of A5 on OS X (ppc)

On 22 Sep 2008, at 12:22, Elias Pschernig wrote:
Other way around. Big endian simply is stupid, no matter how you look at
it :P

Not if you think of it as an array where you want to store the "biggest element" at the "end". Little endian just makes it more convenient to read hexdumps on a terminal because numbers are read right to left instead of left to right. :P

Well, they can stay as they are - just on big endian, different
functions would need to be used (the ones with opposite ordering). One
problem is, what do we do about 24-bit types? How are they supposed to
work on a big endian system?

The same as the 32 bit version with one byte missing. In other words, you'd have to flip bytes 1 and 3 when doing the conversion.

Since I guess you are the only big-endian user of A5 right now, we
should do that then. It also means the least work, you can simply apply
your original fix to the example.

Ok, I'll go ahead and do that.

Evert