Re: [AD] Old problems that still persist on Allegro 4.2 beta 3

Evert Glebbeek wrote:
   I don't know, no one removed it untill now, perhaps we should ask

Evert.

I don't think we should remove the demo.

Surely not, unless a better one appears before the deadline.
An easier solution (perhaps a solution for lazy people like me) would be
to fix "thanks._tx", replacing the accented characters by their 7-bit
ASCII counterparts. I've submitted once a patch for thanks._tx  to
alleg-developers that removed these accents, but now it is probably
outdated. Evert told that he would apply the patch if the demo.dat font
weren't fixed, as he wrote:

Hmm... I thought I had applied it, actually. If we still want to do this,
then there's no reason someone can't make the change and just post a
message here saying he did.

Last time I checked the CVS (about a week or two) my name, Julien's name and Ville's name were with accents. I'll not have time to prepare a patch this time (I'm writing a paper and the deadline is this friday. I'm sort of going nuts!). But after friday, who knows...
    And about the src\dos\wss.c driver? Is anybody willing to fix it?

I don't think it's a question of being willing, but more a question of
being able. I don't think most of us are capable of testing it.

Do you think it worths spending time to fix it or is MS-DOS just too
obsolete?

That question aside and regardless of DOS support post 4.2, 4.2 does
support DOS and as such it is worth it to fix problems.

    If I had more time I would fix it myself, but I don't know when I'll
have a break. It could be tomorrow or only in 2006.

Can you remind me again what the exact problem is with the driver? Does it
actually crash or just not output the correct sound?
If you have any idea, no matter how vague, on how to solve the problem, it
would help.

Sure I remember. It's even documented in the source code (wss.c). The problem seems to be the fact that the MSB and LSB bytes are swapped when reproducing 16 bit sounds. And it seems to be exactly this that happens in my computer when I hear the demo game.
The driver doesn't crash, simply the sound output is not very correct.

Marcio A. A. Fialho
Windows 98 SE
running DJGPP version of Allegro
Celeron 433 MHz
Asaki motherboard, manufactured around 1999 or 2000.
According to the users manual:
 "The P3-141 motherboard is based on Intel's 810 GMCH0set & ICH (82810 82801) chipsets "

Marcio