Re: [AD] 4.0.2 release

Eric Botcazou wrote:

> That's a solution. But I'd rather fix the existing test in configure.in
> (which should detect GNU make). What does 'make -v' give on your system ?

GNU Make version 3.78.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Built for mips-sgi-irix6.5
Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99
        Free Software Foundation, Inc.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Report bugs to <bug-make@xxxxxxxxxx>.

> 'make depend' should have been automatically run by the configure script,
> but because of the gmake bug, it wasn't.

Correct, your patch fixes it.

> Which is funny too, because the configure script precisely checks the
> presence of 'esd-config' :-)

After applying your patch, I didn't see esd-config anymore during
'make depend', it seems that fixed it. I did see a few lines about
alsa sound come by, but they don't seem to cause any problems.

> Could you test the attached patch ? Apply it and delete configure, makefile
> and makefile.dep, then run autoconf and configure. It should fix all your
> problems, assuming 'make -v' returns something consistent.

All problems mentioned before have gone away. Make is detected
correctly, configure automagically did a make depend and no further
errors occurred. The build is still running at the moment, but as you
only fixed things in the configure script I assume all will go well as
before.

I did notice one old error that came back: make clean doesn't work on
IRIX as it generates a 'command line too long'. My earlier patch
(splitting make clean it in 2 rm statements) apparently isn't
sufficient anymore: the second remove statement still produces a too
long command line. Does anybody have an idea for a 'proper' way to fix
this? If not, I'll submit a patch where make clean is split up in a
whole bunch of rm statements.

Hein Zelle

 Unix is user friendly. It's just very particular about who
 it's friends are.

 Hein Zelle                     hein@xxxxxxxxxx
	                        http://www.icce.rug.nl/~hein