Re: [AD] 4.0.2 release

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 10:18:48AM +0200, Hein Zelle wrote:
> I did notice one old error that came back: make clean doesn't work on
> IRIX as it generates a 'command line too long'. My earlier patch
> (splitting make clean it in 2 rm statements) apparently isn't
> sufficient anymore: the second remove statement still produces a too
> long command line. Does anybody have an idea for a 'proper' way to fix
> this? If not, I'll submit a patch where make clean is split up in a
> whole bunch of rm statements.

"for" might be usable, if the issue is not internal shell buffer
sizes.  You could use "find" to expand the wildcards and "-exec
rm {} \;" to remove the files one by one; it's not nice but then
your platform isn't nice. :)  You could use "xargs" to execute
"rm" multiple times with a limit on command line length (use the
"-s <length>" xargs option), but that requires that you somehow
pass all the filenames on stdin, which won't be possible with
"echo" because the command line is too long!  "find" can do it
but it's a bit of a sledgehammer for this nut.

George