Re: [AD] doc building patterns (was: Release Candidate 3)

On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 09:02:56PM +0000, George Foot wrote:
> Sometimes reading the GNU make manual I hate the way they seem
> to have such a domineering attitude -- it's like: "our make
> program is better than all the others, so use all these special
> features and don't worry about compatibility, you can install
> gnu make on any system".  OTOH some of their features are nice
> and powerful.  Sigh.

Yep. And the worst is that the manual I found predicated the same example:
pmake is the only available specialized version of GNU's make supporting
blah blah blah... reminds me of that silly install-info debian vs rest
of the world issue, where debian uses a different incompatible syntax.

> BTW about the pattern rules, I think you have to write something
> like:
>
>     .txt._tx:
>     	(commands)
>
> but I've never done it and this doesn't seem to work with GNU
> Make (so I probably got the syntax wrong).

That's exactly the sintax, but for all I tried it didn't work. Most
importantly, I couldn't find out what where pmake's substitutes of $@
and $<, so I could translate the basic operation block from...

path/%.txt: src/%._tx $(MAKEDOC)
   $(MAKEDOC) -ascii $@ $<

...to...

.txt._tx:
   $(MAKEDOC) -ascii <output:put_something_here> <input:and_here>

Aparently such rules don't contain paths, which must be indicated
with something else like VPATH, but that information eluded me too.

--
 Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz   gradha@xxxxxxxxxx   http://gradha.infierno.org/