Re: [AD] doc building patterns (was: Release Candidate 3)

On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 12:54:52PM +1100, Peter Wang wrote:
>    tjaden@xxxxxxxxxx ~/cvs/allegro $ pmake
>    pmake: Don't know how to make target `docs/texi/allegro.texi'
>
> BTW, BSD make is available as `pmake' under Linux.  It comes with
> Mandrake, IIRC.

After hours of tesing I have given up. pmake doesn't seem to have
anything in common with GNU make except for variable substitution,
so not even the '%.txt' rules work. The only manual I could get didn't
explain how dependencies could be automatic other than writting all the
dependency tree _manually_, and examples seemed to use obscure includes
which pointed at heavily convulted files (with nested includes) which
pregenerated rules with sed and shell expansion tricks.

Other than writting all rules manually (a pain to maintain), the only
solutions I see are either adding doc rule generation through makefile's
depend target and a custom script, or finding somebody who knows how to
write pmake files, and ifdefing the whole doc part.

It can't be so difficult to write a makefile compatible with pmake,
but I seem unable to do that, sorry.

--
 Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz   gradha@xxxxxxxxxx   http://gradha.infierno.org/