Re: [AD] doc building patterns (was: Release Candidate 3)

Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz <gradha@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 09:02:56PM +0000, George Foot wrote:
>
> > BTW about the pattern rules, I think you have to write something
> > like:
> >
> >     .txt._tx:
> >     	(commands)
> >
> > but I've never done it and this doesn't seem to work with GNU
> > Make (so I probably got the syntax wrong).

> That's exactly the sintax, but for all I tried it didn't work. Most
> importantly, I couldn't find out what where pmake's substitutes of $@
> and $<, so I could translate the basic operation block from...
>
> .txt._tx:
>    $(MAKEDOC) -ascii <output:put_something_here> <input:and_here>
>
> Aparently such rules don't contain paths, which must be indicated
> with something else like VPATH, but that information eluded me too.

The syntax is a little different (first source, then dest)

.SUFFIXES: .txt ._tx

$(DOCS): $(MAKEDOC)

._tx.txt:
	$(MAKEDOC) -ascii $@ $<

I don't know if pmake supports $@ and $<, try it with GNU make first.
Yes, it does not support paths and I'm not sure that VPATH will help
(is it supported in pmake? or make utility on Solaris etc?).

--
Michael Bukin