Re: [AD] unicode.c patch

On Sun, Oct 15, 2000 at 12:41:22PM -0500, Benjamin Joel Stover wrote:
> > Just to make clear, this patch was about C convention for passing
> > short as int, not about portable types.
>
> Thank you!  I don't think this has anything to do with portability.  The
> error said that it was going to change the short int to an int anyway,
> which like I said sounds more like a warning than an error.  Perhaps the
> stable GCC does the same thing, but doesn't say anything about it.  I
> don't know.   I suppose we could make some option or something that
> enables the patch (--enable-2-96-gcc or something?)?  Or maybe we could
> get them to download an executable patch to make compatibility..  :-)

The stable gcc must do the same thing, as must all compilers.
Like the error message said, ANSI states that all parameters
passed to a `...' are promoted -- floats to doubles, shorts to
ints, etc.  The only thing which has changed in the new gcc, in
this respect, is that it now gives a useful warning if you try
to read a `...' parameter as something it can't possibly be.
It's a bug for Allegro to do this, so the fix is correct no
matter what gcc version is being used.

George

--
Random project update:
09/05/2000: Libnet 0.10.8 uploaded -- a few bugfixes