Re: [frogs] joining the team

Graham Percival wrote Tuesday, August 10, 2010 4:47 PM

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 04:42:52PM +0100, Trevor Daniels wrote:

The first run does take several hours when compiling the
docs.

Yeah, but 12 hours?!

Depends critally on the RAM given to the VM.  Anything less
than 500MB and the VM will thrash.  Once thrashing starts
the time can increase by an order of magnitude.

I managed to build the entire docs on an eee701 -- 603 mhz, 512
megs ram -- in less than 6 hours.  Not /much/ less, but still
less.  On a core 2 duo, I'd expect it to finish in around 4 hours.

Usually only one cpu is given to the VM, so being duo
is only a help when using the VM and the host at the
time.  Being a duo has no effect on the time taken to
build the docs in a VM.

Granted, I've never played with a VM, but something sounds fishy
to me.

Doing a full doc compile on my laptop under VM takes
around 5-6 hours I guess.  That's in 740Mb.  IIRC I
had to increase it from the 500Mb I had initially to
prevent it trashing.

Trevor