Re: [chrony-users] How to use Facebook's NTP-service correctly?

On 4/8/20 11:00 AM, Lars-Daniel Weber wrote:
Hey Holger,

Holger wrote:
an important point for you since you're presumably in Germany and

Jawoll, under protection of CoronaSchVO NW.

I already went through the futile attempts to use these servers:
they're all outside Germany, with rather high latency and quite
terrible connectivity, depending on your ISP's routing and current
backbone load.

According to their blog, they're doing geo-routing to the nearst server.
Maybe it's for their own services only, not for the public one.

That's what I figured as well. Maybe they'll open the .de servers for
the public, but then there's still the smearing issue..

You're much better off using the public .de NTP pool or addressing
1..3 public servers explicitly. I've set my router to pull from three
stable Stratum 1 sources and get excellent, always-available results
on all my inhouse clients, e.g. this on my workstation:

$chronycmd sources
MS Name/IP address         Stratum Poll Reach LastRx Last sample
^* bifrost.applied-asynchro>     2   6   377    25  -3937ns[-7799ns] +/- 5388us

$chronycmd sourcestats
Name/IP Address            NP  NR  Span  Frequency  Freq Skew  Offset  Std Dev
bifrost.applied-asynchro>   8   6   229     -0.002      0.164    -46ns  7193ns

Would you share your complete config as a good/best practice example?

There's nothing special in there (bifrost is my router, a plain FritzBox where
the upstreams are set):

--snip--
# Servers
server bifrost iburst minpoll 3 maxpoll 6

# Allow the system clock to be stepped in the first three updates
# if its offset is larger than 1 second.
makestep 1.0 3

# Limit update skew
maxupdateskew 10

# Leap second handling
leapsecmode slew

# Allow clients
allow 127.0.0.1

# Automatically sync the RTC
rtcsync

# Priority boost
sched_priority 1
lock_all

# Stats
dumponexit
dumpdir /var/lib/chrony
driftfile /var/lib/chrony/drift
--snip--

It's really just a cleaned up default (template) config..

cheers
Holger