Re: [chrony-users] How to use Facebook's NTP-service correctly?

On Tue, Apr 07, 2020 at 02:28:14PM +0200, Lars-Daniel Weber wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> some of you might have read this article on Facebook (FB) using chrony:
> https://engineering.fb.com/production-engineering/ntp-service/
>
> FB is providing 5 endpoints for public use:
> time1.facebook.com
> time2.facebook.com
> time3.facebook.com
> time4.facebook.com
> time5.facebook.com
>
> But how do I use them correctly inside chrony? Pool, server, iburst?

Each of the names resolves only to a single pair of IPv4 and IPv6
address, so I think they should be specified using the server
directive rather than the pool directive. I guess using iburst is ok
as most public servers are ok with that. Please note that they have
enabled leap smearing, which means they are incompatible with
everything else.

BTW, the servers don't seem to be actually running chrony. I think they
use it only internally.