Re: [chrony-users] makestep in Chrony

Hi Bill,

I think you are indeed confused.  I want accuracy in 100s of ns range.  But again I want no jitter/extra latency in my application.

In all my measurement from point A to point B, the time span is less than 15 micro 99.9999% of the time (0.0001% for the undesired jitter).  And the measurement is taken probably 1.5 billion times (or more a day) in multiple cores (~10?).  As you can see timestamping happens very frequent in my system.  Hence, that's why I have a weird thought of using rdtsc-clock_gettime() map.

I have to admit that I don't know how to use the chrony/ntp's parameters very well.  What parameters would you recommend with a NTP source that is one hop a way within the same data center?

So what would you suggest me to use to synchronize in a datacenter that PTP isn't available and GPS clock isn't allowed?

And indeed I have thought about a better solution for quiet some time because of the conditions above and temperature effect on TSC.  But I can't think of a way to measure from A to B without jitter and latency, and at the same time, I would like to know the approximate epoch time of each "timestamping".  (again no jitter/latency is more important than accuracy of the epoch time.).

If you have a good suggestion, i am all ears.

Thanks!

On Tuesday, May 15, 2018, 2:58:52 PM GMT+8, Bill Unruh <unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 15 May 2018, Hei Chan wrote:

> If I remember correctly that there was a post explaining why it wasn't a bug, the post
> mentioned the value was written to a shared memory (or some sort), and the writer and
> reader aren't protected by a lock for performance reason, and so it needs to spin (i.e
> while loop) to get the value out as soon as the writer finishes.
>
> I don't have an exact percentage of occurrence nor the exact delay.  I vaguely remember
> it was like 200 nano or more.

I must say I am confused. You are wanting accuracy in the 10s of ns range, but you
are using pool servers to set you clock, which will give you accuracy in the
hundreds of usec range (on a good day). Or even a local server, which will
give you something like 10s of usec accuracy. There is a disconnect here..
If you really want ns accuracy you will have to use a refclock directly
connected to the machine. Even GPS has problems as it is only after the fact
that you can figure out the sawtooth time error on a really good gps timing
receiver and compensate for it.
Never mind the temperature changes which make the tsc wander away from its
rate. It is really unclear to me what you are trying to do, and why?