Re: [chrony-users] makestep in Chrony

If I remember correctly that there was a post explaining why it wasn't a bug, the post mentioned the value was written to a shared memory (or some sort), and the writer and reader aren't protected by a lock for performance reason, and so it needs to spin (i.e while loop) to get the value out as soon as the writer finishes.

I don't have an exact percentage of occurrence nor the exact delay.  I vaguely remember it was like 200 nano or more.

Tho, the comparison between the latency of rdtsc and the latency of clock_gettime() (~20 nano vs ~50 nano) is widely available online.

As I mentioned that jitter/latency is more important than accuracy in my case, so I comprised accuracy a bit (with complexity).

On Tuesday, May 15, 2018, 1:16:23 PM GMT+8, Bill Unruh <unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 15 May 2018, Hei Chan wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> Here is the source:
> https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v4.9/source/arch/x86/entry/vdso/vclock_gettime.c#L183
>

> As you can see, clock_gettime() is in a while loop because sometimes, it might fail...

Hm, yes. How much of a time delay do you get occassionally due to the while
loop?

Again that failure sounds like a bug.