[chrony-users] makestep in Chrony

I am reading this:
https://chrony.tuxfamily.org/manual.html#makestep-command

It mentions, "Normally chronyd will cause the system to gradually correct any time offset, by slowing down or speeding up the clock as required".  Most of the Linux machines are using TSC as the source:
$ cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource
tsc

Given a machine using TSC as the clock source and new Intel CPUs have invariant TSC, how can chrony slow down or speed up the clock?  I am sure I misunderstand the doc.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Hei