Re: AW: [chrony-users] chronyd: Can' Synchronize WHY ?

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 07:21:32PM +0000, thomas.schmid@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hm, I don't know what "good" or "bad" values are, but here you are:
> PC9: still switching (without the application running !):
>    voluntary_ctxt_switches:        64369
>    nonvoluntary_ctxt_switches:     3213
> PC6: no longer switching, as all server are on "noselect":
>    voluntary_ctxt_switches:        3951
>    nonvoluntary_ctxt_switches:     34
> PC3: never switching, as only 1 source is configured:
>    voluntary_ctxt_switches:        16560
>    nonvoluntary_ctxt_switches:     65
> PC4: still switching, despite "reselectdist 5" in its config:
>    voluntary_ctxt_switches:        10285
>    nonvoluntary_ctxt_switches:     197
> PC18: still switching, despite "minstratum 2" on 2nd reference
>    voluntary_ctxt_switches:        6723
>    nonvoluntary_ctxt_switches:     492
> PC19: no switching
>    voluntary_ctxt_switches:        19388
>    nonvoluntary_ctxt_switches:     114

That looks ok to me. I think it rules out the possibility that
chronyd is so frequently preempted by the real time application
that it's not able to measure the offset properly.

Another test could be to compare the stability of the RTC and system
clock. The adjtimex tool has -c option which prints differences in
frequency between the two clock measured over short intervals. If the
error is not stable, I'd suspect it's a kernel or hw problem.

---