Re: [chrony-dev] When will chrony release next?

Le 16/08/2018 à 10:57, Miroslav Lichvar a écrit :
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 08:47:16AM +0000, FUSTE Emmanuel wrote:
>> NTP servers pool connected to the PTP network and to the organization
>> network.
>> Each server use the GM on the PTP network.
> The servers have a SHM reference clock providing the PTP time (e.g.
> phc2sys)?
Yes.
>> With ntpd, as long as my refclock is running all work normally.
>> If I lost my PTP switch, orphan mode kick in and all the servers in the
>> pool serve a coherent time.
>>
>> With chrony, as refclocks are not taken into account in the orphan mode
>> decision (status of the refclock, stratum) and as I am not using other
>> externals NTP sources I am always in orphan mode.
> I'm not sure what is the difference here. The orphan mode should be
> active, but with chrony it's not? I.e. the servers are still
> synchronized to their SHM refclocks and don't want to select a server
> to which all others should synchronize?
No, with chrony the shm refclock seems to be ignored (need to retest
precisely) . The observed stratum of my chrony servers were not
refclock+1 (0+1) but the defined orphan stratum (3).
Last time I checked this, it was on an internet connected pool of two
servers with ptp refclock, and public ntp sources (pool.ntp.org) and it
exhibit the same behavior. The stratum of the chrony servers were orphan
stratum or the stratum of a selected Internet ntp source + 1 (if lower
than the ophan one) but not the shm + 1 one.
Will redo some tests if you want.

Emmanuel.