Re: [chrony-dev] When will chrony release next?

Le 16/08/2018 à 10:10, Miroslav Lichvar a écrit :
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 07:53:24AM +0000, FUSTE Emmanuel wrote:
>> have you on your todo list for a future release some work around orphan
>> mode and refclocks ?
> I wasn't planning anything in that area.
>
>> Taking refclocks into account as other ntp sources for the orphan mode
>> is the only feature I a missing from ntpd in my use case.
> Could you please be more specific? I'm not sure what an orphan
> refclock would be or what is the use case.

Example:
Organization network not connected to Internet.
Time given by HW clocks (GNSS / radio clock / rubidium osc or whatever
else) and distributed on a dedicated L2 PTP network.
NTP servers pool connected to the PTP network and to the organization
network.
Each server use the GM on the PTP network.
Each server in the pool are declared as ntp source for the other servers.
Orphan mode is activated.

With ntpd, as long as my refclock is running all work normally.
If I lost my PTP switch, orphan mode kick in and all the servers in the
pool serve a coherent time.

With chrony, as refclocks are not taken into account in the orphan mode
decision (status of the refclock, stratum) and as I am not using other
externals NTP sources I am always in orphan mode.

Emmanuel.