Re: [chrony-dev] When will chrony release next?

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 12:11:00AM -0300, Gustavo Serra Scalet wrote:
> I'm building Debian releases for cloud usage and noticed the known-issue[1]
> regarding `getrandom` hanging when Chrony is called early on system boot
> (and it does, as DHCP will call it during network configuration). I see it
> as critical as ithappens every time on current snapshot builds after
> booting. (`systemd-analyze` reports thgat startup times soared from 15
> seconds to 180 seconds!)

Yeah, this is an annoying bug. I was hoping it would be addressed on
the kernel side as there are other applications affected by it and at
least some people seem to think the system call should never block
with the urandom source.

> Are you planning to do a new release soon?

I was planning to make a new release in about a month, depending on
how much time I'll have for chrony. There is just one new feature left
on my todo list and then I'll be writing tests for the new code, etc.

If people think it's important enough, I could make a quick 3.3.1 bug
fix only release. I'm not sure.