Re: Anarchism: tell me more (was RE: Nimrod)

Hi Brenton,

> That's kind of the thing about Nimrod: It IS easier to learn than the
> sed, awk and all the other tools bash scripts need to work. Not to
> mention the bash syntax itself. That means MORE people can learn and
> use Nimrod if it's made accessible to them. This is no different than
> using Vala/Genie tools like Midori or should we change it to a bash
> driven web browser instead? Why not just compile the basics of busybox
> and then write bash scripts to provide the other coreutils? Slow and
> complicated? Exactly my point. Simplicity, elegance and speed
> should be our goal. Not stubbornly sticking to some 'standard' we
> implemented just because there wasn't a better option. We have a
> choice now with Vala/Genie, Bacon and Nimrod - Puppy realized that
> and so does TinyCore. How long will it take us to wake up and see the
> writing on the wall?

I dont know why you talking about rewritting a browser in SHell script,
SliTaz goal is not to be a pure SHell distro! We use opensource tools
independently of it coding language. We use SHell scripts for our own
distro specific tools such as the packages manager or the distro
builder. I never said we can't use Nimrod for that, I just ask how many
people will be able to contribute. Ok it is easy to learn, but who
wants to learn a new language ?

I think that before to say Nimrod is the prefered language in SliTaz,
one must provide some working tools. Aleksej provide greate example and
comparaison, we have nim-tools repo who let you work on new tools. Why
dont you contribute to it ? I thought Nimrod is easy to learn ?

When some Nimrod tool will be avalaible we can them organize a vote to
let everyone express himself. We can also vote now so you will see if
Nimrod will be accepted in the project or not. I realy think this must
be a community decision.

> Sponsorship isn't enough. I know I probably shouldn't say this,
> but we need backing like Debian, Ubuntu, Red Hat, PCLinuxOS and
> Mandrivia. They all have financial backing from a company or
> group of companies that pay dedicated staff to work on their
> distribution.

I tried with slitaz.pro, but let say we dont get any mail or request
these last 4-5 months.

> This is why I want to look into creating my own fork of SliTaz with
> backward compatibility to the repository. I want to squeeze as much as
> humanly possible into SliTaz that could make it useful to a company
> and general desktop users. I want to use musl libc to save more space
> so I can add more with less space needed. I want all the Xorg drivers,
> office tools, media player, flash plugin and wireless drivers in one
> place. Kind of like Linux Mint for SliTaz.

Cool! But dont use a spider as logo, dont call your distro with a
political name because I think they are show stopper for a widely used
distro... to much people are afraid about spiders!