Nimrod

I was going to introduce Nimrod to the mailing list (and forum) in due
time, but the recent events has pushed this ahead.

Let's start by answer some of the questions that have been asked:
Q: What were the factors in choosing it [Nimrod] over say, rebol/lua
etc?
A: Nimrod isn't an interpertive language. It compiles straight to a
binary like a C or C++ program, so don't need Nimrod installed to
run the binary. You only need Nimrod's compiler installed if you wish to
alter and compile the source.

Q: Why not use C since there are some other tools in slitaz (tazweb)
written in C, and it's a stablished language?
A: Nimrod converts to C code which it then compiles into binaries. It
generates it's own headers for wrapped libraries too, so unlike C
programs, you do not need the dev package installed to compile in
functionality provided by an external library.

Q: Why not use something like Vala/Genie instead?
A; Vala (and in proxy Genie) binaries, while small, still heavily
depend on glib and gObject to function. This requirement CAN be
stripped from them, but you lose the majority of the languages'
functionality in the process. Nimrod binaries, on the other hand, are
stand-alone by design with optional requirements only introduced when
you use a external (wrapped) library within the program. The Nimrod
compiler only has the single requirement of gcc.

Q: Will the nimtools replace the current (ash scripted) ones?
A: Probably not. Unlike how I made it sound when I lost my temper,
we'll probably start developing the new tools under different name
while leaving the choice of which tool to use up to the user. Think of
them as alternative solutions rather than replacements.

Q: But I don't know python, how will I be able to use Nimrod?
A: Good. The only similarity between Python and Nimrod is how it deals
with statement blocks and the "battery included" way of dealing with
things. Otherwise, they're completely different with a syntax that can
be adapted to how you prefer to code rather than some rigorious way of
doing something. In Nimrod: echo "hello world", eChO("hello world") and
ECHO"hello world" is all the same thing.

Anyway, please send more questions my way and I'll try to answer them
rather than making up more of them :P