|Re: [Sawfish] preferred way to install on "recent" linux distro|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/sawfish Archives
- To: sawfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [Sawfish] preferred way to install on "recent" linux distro
- From: Daniel Fetchinson <fetchinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 12:20:39 +0200
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlemail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=yLBSabluYIUKF8ckelgg83BuSoHTTatpYHDk7mj4p0Q=; b=xBCHaKD11teM09q33EXmlwXd8GByxbrregDpCNIICYldIZH6y2DtpP7LKCMoJsgLIl TRUyckjDz1i1lfXJZJAcYWuUK4wAmG1ilU5Rm7b4muNaYGmlBlsZ5vMOsjUwPtj4ga8t gAm/6MAMcrCLjw+S0udfqdSsh5jOtLaFztsNyUyRPWnBzM+Js7rTg6uumIGqoYvxH/kv 9yeCbqtKiti73GlGj5VthtvFpOHeDRQgZjWxluuQCbobXJ3iZCNPZwEKWg2PY8vhE9IE zu2BtnLdTyO+7axyZzdrqocWzAPF4B1Gdwr9AXkIsc0QeaQaGCcqL5J/QI4E1MKbwB86 ZYxQ==
On 8/19/12, Teika Kazura <teika@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 21:44:08 +0200, Daniel Fetchinson wrote:
>> Recent linux distros typically come with gnome 3 (unfortunately).
>> If I'd like to have sawfish how would I go about it?
> On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 11:40:13 -0700, greg heil wrote:
>> Is there a readable FAQ somewhere that covers this?
> I wonder if someone could recap and post it somewhere (plain text will
> be highly appreciated), in order not to repeat this subject (and
> variants?) over and over. Currently newcomers are quite likely to give
> up Sawfish after a try. I myself can't, sorry, since I never use DEs
> nor session managers.
> Forunately Sawfish users are very kind and always many people answer
> to this question.
> Of course, new answers can refresh and improve the knowledge, and it's
> Teika (Teika kazura)
Thanks for all the replies. I realize that I didn't make my question
clear enough: on Fedora 12 (that comes with gnome 2) I run sawfish on
its own, gnome is not running and neither does any other desktop
environment not even a graphical login screen (text login is fine with
me I can type startx afterwards). But I use a couple of gnome 2
applications like network manager, gnome-power-manager,
gnome-settings-daemon because these are useful on a laptop because I
can use the brightness buttons, volume buttons, etc.
I'd like to have the same thing with Fedora 17, run sawfish on its own
but with a few of these gnome applications.
What made me a bit worried is that in order to compile sawfish I need
librep and rep-gtk. But this is gtk2 I guess. And since gnome 3 uses
(I guess) gtk3 I was worried whether I can install gtk2 alongside
gtk3. Or this is no problem? Only gnome 3 alongside gnome 2 is
Or should I just install sawfish from the fedora 17 repo which will
automatically pull gtk2?
And will MATE have these applications like gnome-power-manager,
gnome-settings-daemon, etc? That would be the best I guess.
Psss, psss, put it down! - http://www.cafepress.com/putitdown