Re: [Sawfish] preferred way to install on "recent" linux distro

Good that so many folks have been able to use Sawfish on Modern OS`s!
i have not in Xubuntu 1204. i do see the option at sign on time... but
no joy alas. i did try with a hello world app~ ... but maybe where? ie
where is the sawfish init file supposed to be? Why is there no menu
items? Perhaps i access them in other ways? How? Is there a readable
FAQ somewhere that covers this?

HELP!

---~
hello-world in:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-announce-list/2011-March/msg00039.html

greg
~krsnadas.org

--

from:	 Christopher Roy Bratusek nano@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
to:	 sawfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm not using Fedora but Debian... but I'm using Sawfish with Razor-Qt
a very good small desktop environment that offers all you need not
more (session manager, some widgets, panel, volume manager,
user-to-root for mounting volumes with root priviledges...).

Sawfish can be choosen (as in KDE4) from a drop-down box as Razor-Qts
WM, so there's practically nothing to do to get Sawfish up and
running.

Regards,
Chris

--

from:	 Andrew A. Adams aaa@xxxxxxxxxxx
to:	 "sawfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sawfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,

I've been reasonably happy with sawfish under KDE. I just installed
Fedora 16 with the KDE rather than Gnome option and then put sawfish
in. Not a perfect replacement for Gnome 2, but easier than any of the
other options. I don't find KDE 4 as annoying as some did, but then I
was moving from Gnome 2 not KDE 3, and my comparison was compared with
Gome 3 (yuck!).

---
Professor Andrew A Adams                      aaa@xxxxxxxxxxx
Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration,  and
Deputy Director of the Centre for Business Information Ethics
Meiji University, Tokyo, Japan       http://www.a-cubed.info/

--

from:	 dmg dmg@xxxxxxx via gmail.com
to:	 sawfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

IN my opinion, it is not worth it to fight the desktop. My usual method is:

* find out which window manager they use, then rename it, and create a
symlink from the original name to sawfish

or

* run sawfish --replacel every time I reboot (which is once in a
bluemoon). I find that this option is less expensive over time than
trying to configure _again_ sawfish which whichever environment ubuntu
comes out next.

by the way, I am running now  xfce4. I got tired of gnome.

--dmg

---
Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org

--

from:	 Michal Jaegermann michal@xxxxxxxxxxxx
to:	 sawfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What is to "manage"?  sawfish rpm packages for Fedora
(sawfish-1.8.91-1.fc16 in repos for f16) AFAICT include
/usr/share/xsessions/sawfish.desktop file which means that you can
pick up sawfish as an "alternative" session in gdm if sawfish is
installed. The same is true in the current "rawhide" as well (at this
moment package sawfish-1.9.0-2.fc18 in repos).  Such session by
default is somewhat "bare-bones" and it is up to you to customize it
for your needs.

If you want to run sawfish and include some elements provided by Gnome
that works as well as long as a "fallback" mode is not broken too
badly. Executing there 'sawfish --replace' is not a great achievement.
 That can be arranged in a way which does not require doing that "by
hand" and how to get there it was described in the past on this list.

Michal

--

from:	 greg heil emanuensis@xxxxxxxxx
to:	 sawfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Robert

Good it is going in xfce4 for you. i unfortunately have had no luck in
Xubuntu 1204... What did you put in your xinitrc file?

greg
~krsnadas.org

--

from:    Robert 'Bobby' Zenz Robert.Zenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
to:      sawfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello.

I'm not sure if Sawfish will work Gnome3, Gnome3 is not exactly that
classic-WM-friendly type of environment. Though, you could try.

For Sawfish I'd either suggest a "pure" Sawfish session, Xfce or Mate.
Sawfish works very good with Xfce and Mate, I had the former running
for some time and the later now as my main environment. Getting it to
run with Xfce is a little bit tricky, as you need to write a custom
..xinitrc to launch Xfce with Sawfish. With Mate it's easier, as you
just need to replace a value in the Mate-Conf
(/desktop/mate/session/required-components I think).

from:    fuchur flohtransporter@xxxxxxxxx
to:      sawfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
date:    17 August 2012 12:59
subject:         Re: [Sawfish] preferred way to install on "recent" linux distro

Install gnome 2 alongside with gnome 3 not work. On fedora i use xfce4
with sawfish. But now also mate is in the repos for 16 17 and also in
18.

Regards,
Fuchur

GPG Fingerprint: CA3B 8204 5B3E 6D48 6D53  C116 E5BC 70D5 B8D7 B2B0