Re: [Sawfish] installing sawfish in xubuntu

Tomasz

Well though

sudo apt-get -f -m install build-dep
.... &
sudo apt-get -f -m install autoreconf
.... both resulted in
E: Unable to locate package ...

using the GUI for Synaptic worked and enabled me to "locate" autoreconf!

So i was able to use your formulation, to wit

for each librep rep-gtk sawfish perform
	mkdir xxx
	cd  xxx
	apt-get source xxx
	sudo apt-get build-dep xxx
	cd xxx\t
	dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
	cd ..
	sudo dpkg -i *.deb
	rm *.deb
	rm *.gz
	rm *.changes
	rm *.dsc

But after installing those uptodate packages i am still in the same
boat as before:

Whe i logon using the Sawfish WM Nothing except the mouse/cursor is
live, no terminals nothing. Not even the "hello-world" app i put at
the corners. The only way out is to power cycle the machine...

Is there a thorough way to UNinstall, perhaps to try again?

greg
~krsnadas.org

--

from:	 Tomasz Gajewski tomga@xxxxx
to:	 sawfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

$ locate autoreconf.pm
/usr/share/perl5/Debian/Debhelper/Sequence/autoreconf.pm

$ dpkg -S /usr/share/perl5/Debian/Debhelper/Sequence/autoreconf.pm
dh-autoreconf: /usr/share/perl5/Debian/Debhelper/Sequence/autoreconf.pm

It seems like missing dh-autoconf package. It should be installed by
'apt-get build-dep', I think, unless on debian it is in different
package.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Tomasz Gajewski

--

from:	 greg heil emanuensis@xxxxxxxxx
to:	 sawfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
subject:	 Re: [Sawfish] installing sawfish in xubuntu

Tomasz

Got stuck again...

.... After
apt-get sourcelibrep
sudo apt-get build-dep librep
cd l<TAB>
.... i issue
gh@duo:~/s/wm/sawfish/librep-0.92.2.1$ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
.... & i get
dh: unable to load addon autoreconf: Can't locate
Debian/Debhelper/Sequence/autoreconf.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
/etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.14.2 /usr/local/share/perl/5.14.2
/usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.14
/usr/share/perl/5.14 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at (eval 4) line 2.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 4) line 2.

Perhaps i need to apt-get something first.
Following the instructions in the README failed also.

greg

--

from:    Tomasz Gajewski tomga@xxxxx
to:      sawfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
date:    25 August 2012 10:54

greg heil <emanuensis@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hmm well that said it was a "x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux" system!

Probably you have dual architecture configuration x86 + i386. Warning
during update could be ignored but:

sudo apt-get install sawfish

fails with:

The following packages have unmet dependencies: sawfish : Depends:
libfontconfig1 (>= 2.9.0) but 2.8.0-3ubuntu9.1 is to be installed E:
Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

probably due to fact, that newer package versions were available on
unstable debian than current ubuntu.

> Are there any good instructions on how to do this?

Something like this worked for me

export CONFIG_SHELL="/bin/bash" # important for libtool problem

for each librep rep-gtk sawfish perform
   apt-get source <pkg>
   sudo apt-get build-dep <pkg>
   cd <pkg-src-dir>
   dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
   cd ..
   sudo dpkg -i <created.debs>

Regards
Tomasz Gajewski

--

from:    greg heil emanuensis@xxxxxxxxx
to:      sawfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
date:    24 August 2012 08:14
subject:         Re: [Sawfish] installing sawfish in xubuntu

Robert

Hmm well that said it was a "x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux" system! It IS
important for several softwares (such as gimp) to take advantage of
the 8G the sys has though. Perhaps The difference between AMD64and
x86_64 is big enough though to require recompiling. Are there any good
instructions on how to do this?

greg
~krsnadas.org

--

from:    Robert 'Bobby' Zenz Robert.Zenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
to:      sawfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Run "uname -a" once to check your installed version.

I'm not sure if you can install 64bit software on a 32bit system.

--

from:    greg heil emanuensis@xxxxxxxxx
to:      sawfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
date:    24 August 2012 07:25
subject:         Re: [Sawfish] installing sawfish in xubuntu

Chris

Well that could be good for me ... the machine IS a (duo) 64b! How do
i convince Synaptic of that though? i believe at install i used the
32b option instead.It would be rather misteak prone to do a direct
install, especially as i do not know, yet, how to do that properly.

greg
~krsnadas.org

--

from:    Christopher Roy Bratusek nano@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
to:      sawfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ahh... my repo only has AMD64, no i386. But you could download the
sources and compile from those (since it's deb-src it will tell you
about missing deps)

Regards

--

from:    greg heil emanuensis@xxxxxxxxx
to:      sawfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
date:    23 August 2012 17:39
subject:         Re: [Sawfish] installing sawfish in xubuntu

Chris

Synaptic failed to install Sawfish saying:

"Could not apply changes! Fix broken packages firs."

Perhaps it is because when i updated the package list a dialog said:

GPG error: http://apt.nanolx.org photonic InRelease: The following
signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not
available: NO_PUBKEY 4B9D3375057549E2Failed to fetch
http://apt.nanolx.org/dists/photonic/main/binary-i386/Packages  500
Internal Server Error Some index files failed to download. They have
been ignored, or old ones used instead.

BTW the Starfish-pager is not marked as coming from nano...

greg
~krsnadas.org