Re: [Sawfish] Sawfish with gnome3

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Brian <oldminer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> XMonad has explicit instructions for setting it up as the WM for
> Gnome3 here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xmonad#GNOME_3_and_xmonad

FYI,
I followed this replacing "xmonad" with "sawfish" everywhere and left
off the 3rd part which seems to be xmonad specific (?).  After logging
out back to gdm3 and selecting the new session and logging back in I'm
greeted with an error:

  Xsession: unable to launch "gnome-session --session=sawfish"
Xsession --- "gnome-session --session=sawfish" not found; falling back
to default session.

At which point I'm either dumped to a hybrid of Gnome "classic" +
gnome-shell or dumped all the way back to gdm3.

The error looks like something has tried to execute the entire literal
string instead of breaking down the arguments.  Indeed I find this
message in Debian's /etc/X11/Xsession.d/20x11-common_process-args.  It
looks like the problem boils down to :

  /usr/bin/which "$1"

note the quoting.  This is expanded to

  /usr/bin/which "gnome-session --session=sawfish"

which returns "".  If the quotes are removed things work as intended.

I'll submit a debian bug on this.

-Brett.

---