Re: [proaudio] I want to contribute

On 10 November 2015 at 18:24, Marc Joliet <marcec@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Monday 09 November 2015 02:10:16 Keen Blade wrote:
>I am not against git but what do evermind and dominique think?
>Also I think there is no need to touch svn repo. No need to rename it. We
>just have to migrate to git with all the repo history and users. Ones the
>svn repo is migrated to git and it  seems to be working, we just anounce it
>and adjust the links. Later we can remove the non working or obsolete
>ebuilds.

I agree that this approach is better, mainly because it keeps the history
intact.

Additionally, I wonder if it would perhaps be best not to use git-svn for the
conversion, see http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=6778.  There's some documentation on
using reposurgeon for this at http://www.catb.org/~esr/reposurgeon/dvcs-migration-guide.html.  I don't know much about it other than what its author
wrote on his blog, but it was used to convert the Emacs repository to Git (and
various other projects; the one other I know of is groff).  Maybe reposurgeon
is overkill here, but I think that it's at least worth considering.

--
Marc Joliet
don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup

Hi

Just a few things regarding svn/git etc..

I really like the features that have been set up of the overlay. The commit mails to the list I found useful because it's good to see what's happened, though I haven't been able to check and test as much as I'd like lately. There is also lot of good work gone into the wiki, list, etc integration. What would happen to this if moving to Gitlab or Github? Can tuxfamily be used as a git master and have the commit mails feature retained while still using Gitlab as mirror and for merges? I think tuxfamily handles the commit mails automatically in any repos. Gitlab and Github are good for review and can provide easier access for contributors, just curious about where this is going and where/if to push any changes that's all! If someone can add the ACL on tuxfamily proaudio group so I create a repo or set one up I can push the conversion right now.

git-svn has always been how I've accessed the overlay but I do think if there is a migration to git it would be better off converting the repo using reposurgeon in the long run, thanks to the suggestion from Marc.

WBR
Gavin