Re: [proaudio] Gentoo pro-audio livecd

Am Donnerstag, den 25.03.2010, 08:14 -0700 schrieb Mark Knecht:
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 7:31 AM, David Cunningham
> <david.m.cunningham@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I would also add the XFCE4 suggestion...I sorta like your idea but i would
> > rather see a Pro-Audio Gentoo based installable distro...that would be more
> > appealing than a livecd.
> >

> But what is a Gentoo 'installable distro' other than standard Gentoo
> with a modified world file, along with use flags, layman, etc.?

> Mostly I don't even use the Gentoo Install CD to do Gentoo installs
> anymore in favor of any Live CD that throws up a GUI so that I can run
> a terminal and copying install instructions from a web page. If I was
> to use the Gentoo install CD I always start sshd and then shell in
> from some other machine to do all the heavy lifting.
I'm doing it in the same manner.

> I think the Pro-audio Live CD would be a good step toward helping a
> new Gentoo user get started. It's proof of concepts as all the apps
> work, and gives a reasonable base to start an install from if someone
> wants to really use Gentoo. Too that end the Live CD should probably
> include all the stuff someone uses to do an install - vi, lspci, etc.,
I've already included this things.The specs are based on my
install/rescue livecd there is also lot of repair stuff because :) I'll
put them on git hub .. so people are able to review/ contribute. Such a
livecd could be a nice starting point for slightly experienced users.
One could copy the filesystem and care about the disk-setup and further
configuration in gentoo style. So you would have a instant pro-audio
gentoo system which can be adapted and maintained by the user as usual.
The dynamic build server would make it rellay cool. So you would have
your usual set of tools.
Has anyone an idea where to gather the computational resources?

> Just my thoughts as I get ready to so my most complicated Gentoo
> install to date - i7-980x processor with 24GB of DRAM and two RAID
> systems in a single box. It will run Gentoo and 5 copies of Windows 7
> in parallel. It should be fun! ;-)
I sounds like a nice host :) good luc

--
Bjoern Thorwirth, Zentrum für Medizinische Biotechnologie,
Universität Duisburg-Essen, Universitätsstr. 2, 45117 Essen, Germany