Re: [proaudio] Gentoo pro-audio livecd

2010/3/24 Björn Thorwirth <bjoern.thorwirth@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi All!
>
> I have the idea to create a gentoo livecd focused on pro-audio. I
> planned to make a 32 and a 64 bit one. The latter one should base on
> portage-multilib-overlay (so it's possible to use recent jack) . I
> planned to install the following programs:
>
> - ardour
> - jack
> - qjcakctl
> - xwax
> - patchage
> - audacity and/or rezound
> - rosegarden
>  -qsampler
> - qtractor
> - LMMS
> - Mixxx
> - Mp3diags
> - Sound Converter
> - Picard
> - gmusicbrowser
> - lash/ladish ?
>  -some synths
>
> And a common gnome system. Do you have further suggestions what you
> would like to see?
>
> An installable system would be nice, too.I've already created several
> gentoo livecds with catalyst, but GLI is  since 2006 dead. I already
> talked to sabayon devs which use molecule to create sabayon iso's.
> molecule is still missing any doc. Do you have suggestions how to create
> an installer? And what do you think of the project?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Björn Thorwirth

Cheers. It's cool that you want to do something like this for the community..

As a couple of others have said, if you like Gnome then I vote you
replace it with XFCE4. It's Gnome-like and much lighter.

I guess I'm not totally on top of what a Live CD is used for these
days. I always viewed it as a stepping stone toward installing the OS.
Use the Live CD for a day or two, decide if you like it, and then do
the install. How to you envision people people use your Live CD? If
there's a permanent use then adding lots of apps makes sense. If it's
a step to something else then go light.

On the other hand, having some groovy on-line tool that allowed people
to choose what apps they wanted and then the app built an iso file
that they could burn would be too cool, wouldn't it? ;-)

Anyway, good luck with your project.

- Mark