Re: [proaudio] Gentoo pro-audio livecd

Am Donnerstag, den 25.03.2010, 04:44 -0700 schrieb Mark Knecht:
> 2010/3/24 Björn Thorwirth <bjoern.thorwirth@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Hi All!
> >
> > I have the idea to create a gentoo livecd focused on pro-audio. I
> > planned to make a 32 and a 64 bit one. The latter one should base on
> > portage-multilib-overlay (so it's possible to use recent jack) . I
> > planned to install the following programs:
> >
> > - ardour
> > - jack
> > - qjcakctl
> > - xwax
> > - patchage
> > - audacity and/or rezound
> > - rosegarden
> >  -qsampler
> > - qtractor
> > - LMMS
> > - Mixxx
> > - Mp3diags
> > - Sound Converter
> > - Picard
> > - gmusicbrowser
> > - lash/ladish ?
> >  -some synths
> >
> > And a common gnome system. Do you have further suggestions what you
> > would like to see?
> >
> > An installable system would be nice, too.I've already created several
> > gentoo livecds with catalyst, but GLI is  since 2006 dead. I already
> > talked to sabayon devs which use molecule to create sabayon iso's.
> > molecule is still missing any doc. Do you have suggestions how to create
> > an installer? And what do you think of the project?
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Björn Thorwirth
>
> Cheers. It's cool that you want to do something like this for the community.
>
> As a couple of others have said, if you like Gnome then I vote you
> replace it with XFCE4. It's Gnome-like and much lighter.
I guess you are right. I can install enlightenment and xfce. e16 is very
light and stable. and e17 has made good development in the last time,
too. I guess I'll add all 3 for now.

> I guess I'm not totally on top of what a Live CD is used for these
> days. I always viewed it as a stepping stone toward installing the OS.
> Use the Live CD for a day or two, decide if you like it, and then do
> the install. How to you envision people people use your Live CD? If
> there's a permanent use then adding lots of apps makes sense. If it's
> a step to something else then go light.
My first Idea was to have something to do a live performance, even when
my regular laptop suddenly dies. That's not very probable - but's nice
to have an insurance. And I thought that could be of interest for other
people, too.. Gentoos pro-audio combined with other stuff like
portage-multilb is in my mind the most advanced linux audio platform
which is out there.. But the barrier to get in touch with gentoo and get
such a system woking is high - at least for linux newbies.
I'm already working at the livecd. Having a working installer would be
really cool. I'm going to try out molecule at the weekend.

> On the other hand, having some groovy on-line tool that allowed people
> to choose what apps they wanted and then the app built an iso file
> that they could burn would be too cool, wouldn't it? ;-)
That is a nice idea .. but i guess one would need a build server to
prepare alle the binaries and to keep them up to date. It shouldn't be
too hard to set such a server up. The iso could be created at serverside
and maybe cached.

> Anyway, good luck with your project.

Thanks :)

--
Bjoern Thorwirth, Zentrum für Medizinische Biotechnologie,
Universität Duisburg-Essen, Universitätsstr. 2, 45117 Essen, Germany