Re: [proaudio] ProAudio current state

On Do, 07.08.08 17:05 Alexis Ballier <aballier@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I'll look at LMMS again. That's one great app I'd really like to see
> > in portage. Recently got removed from sunrise in favor of our's, but
> > some things have to be checked and cleaned up, like VeSTige license
> > (their reverse-engeneered VST header - LGPL'ed) and it's
> > functionality on amd64. And this build-system-mess called STK.
>
> Yep; I had been playing with it some time ago. And I agree stk is a
> mess, I patched it like hell to have it build. I ended up having more
> or less the same patches as in the overlay.
> Plus some additions:
> - doc useflag (you can run doxygen in ${S}/doc/doxygen to build it)
> - examples useflag to install or not the stuff in projects/
> - debug useflag (--enable-debug)

Yup, definately missing in my/the overlay's ebuild

> some others I just spotted using the overlay's ebuild, not sure if
> mine was the same:
> - it ignores ldflags

IIRC it failed with --as-needed and/or DT_GNU_HASH, but not sure. Will
check that again

> - it installs binaries in /usr/share ('projects/*' stuff)

Yeah that's really not the right place, but on the other hand, if
someone is interested in the examples (given we only install them on
"useflag request"), $user will most likely have hard time to find the
examples in /usr/bin

And we will have package collisions, e.g.

/usr/share/stk/projects/examples/play
/usr/bin/play

Latter one comes from media-sound/sox

*shrug*

> - why installing the sources ?

This was pure lazyness. In the end I was happy that this lib compiled
at all, and for the examples and headers I just recursively copied them
over, even the Makefiles. Sorry for this mess, that needs to be fixed,
indeed.

> - why is it in media-sound category and not media-lib ?

Given all the example binaries, apps and whatnot, it looked like more
than just a libstk.

Maybe splitting it in media-libs/stk and media-sound/stk-apps or
something like that would make more sense, but with this build system...

I'd completely agree with media-libs too.

> - the patches to get a shared lib should *really* go upstream

Indeed, but not sure if those patches still let it compile on Windows.
And to be honest, I took some of them from a fedora repository I
googled up.

> - the other patches should also go upstream but that's far less
> important than making it build a shared library without upstream ack.
> - why is a reconfigure needed ? (there are two econf calls)

This might be unneeded, I got that one from the PlanetCCRMA src.rpm's
spec file - and as STK is a CCRMA maintained app I thought they know
what they're doing.

> Now for lmms:
> - pic must not be an useflag, libtool will do the right thing

ok

> - it seems there is a pulseaudio option for 0.4 alphas

Uff, other than jackd, I hate sound servers and use ALSA directly. So I
can't test.

> - I see no --with/without ladspa option in configure.ac
> - neither a libsrc option
> - it seems there is a fluidsynth option for 0.4
> - same for libsf (libsndfile)
> - same for fftw3

ok

> - isn't it possible to fix parallel make with vst ?

Parallel make isn't supported at all by upstream, for whatever reason.
Only if you rebuild an already compiled source tree, which will most
likely not happen on Gentoo :)

http://www.nabble.com/can't-compile-0.4.0-alpha-td18629245.html
2nd/3rd post.

> ok that's a lot of nitpicking but I'd really like to have it in the
> tree, and if you're motivated to proxy maintain it that's even
> better ;)

Yeah I'd be glad to help there, I'll look at the things you mentioned.
What about, erm, ignoring STK support for now? I think that's more a
pita to maintain than LMMS itself.

> > And the quizz... Is genstef still active? He was/is my mentor (for
> > over a year *shame*).
>
> I think he is, though I've not seen him for a while; maybe he's just
> slower because of the summer ;)

Yeah, he's from Munich too, like me, and maybe spending more time in
beer gardens than infront of his box :D

> Alexis.

Cheers,
Tom