Re: [proaudio] again with VST support

On Sun, 14 May 2006 22:31:48 +0200
SteelRage <keywiz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think that the directory /usr/lib/vst should belong to the audio
> group and that the users who wish to do HD recording should belond to
> the audio group too (maybe could it be written in the ebuild?).
> I say this because, under win and Mac most VST instruments and plugins
> store patches informations in the default VstPlugins directory.
> Without write access to that directory, there could be problems.
> I know that user VSTi/plugins should be installed in ~/vst (it's one
> of the default dirs for DSSI, for example), but because some packages
> (like fst-demo-synths) are installed system-wide, maybe you should
> use that workaround.

Good point! Very good one.
And big shame on me again, because:
drwxr-xr-x   6 tom  users         19 14. Mai 16:35 vst

^^ i set it like that LONG time before writing an ebuild - and didn't
think of it. Also fst writes .fst files to the VST dir. So lets make
that dir writeable to the audio group.

> Another thing I wanted to ask: every musician really would like to be
> able to install a VST plugin in a simple way (for example by clicking
> on the  windows executable file from the file manager). Is it
> possible to add in wine some registry information that explains to
> the installer the location where the VST plugin dlls should be put?
> (for example in ~/vst or in /usr/lib/vst?)
> Would this be enough to be able to install DSSI and FST compatible
> VSTPlugins in an easy way?

Most of the VSTs with installer asked where the VST dir is on
installation. I gave it /usr/local/lib/vst, and that worked, as only
the .dll gets copied there.

> greets
>

> Paolo

Cheers,