Re: [hatari-devel] Preparing Hatari 2.5 for release

Le 10/03/2024 à 18:29, Nicolas Pomarède a écrit :
Le 10/03/2024 à 11:48, Thomas Huth a écrit :
Am Sun, 10 Mar 2024 11:22:18 +0100
schrieb Nicolas Pomarède <npomarede@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Le 09/03/2024 à 19:26, Bob Carpenter a écrit :
I would change the release notes to let Mac users know that they are unable to run IPF files with this release. Since the CAPS library is not a universal binary, it could not be included. I do not think most Mac users will care since I think very few have IPF files. I had to try very hard to find any of them. I think the MIDI fixes and other general fixes (along with the ability to continue providing a macOS binary) outweigh the loss of running IPF files.

Hi

I don't know how many people are using IPF or not, but it's annoying to
not have the possibility to use it anymore on macOS.

As capslib hasn't chnaged in years and people sometimes complain they
don't have capslib dev files or libs on Linux/Windows, maybe another
possibilty would be to include capslib files in a "3rdparties" dir in
Hatari's sources and compile it / link it directly with Hatari ? (that
would be possible with their MAME-like license)

I know linking directly to external libraries is not the prefered way,
but sometimes it's the "less worst" solution.

what do other think about this ?

I'd rather not include GPL-incompatible files into the Hatari repository,
since this will likely trigger some red lights for some distros in the long
run.

Let's wait and see if one of the macOS users really misses IPF support. If
so, we could have a try to get it somehow included in the CI builds.
Otherwise, we can simply ignore it, I think.

Another possibility could be to use similar code as HxC and dlopen() to load the library dynamically :

https://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3760

and

https://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopic.php?p=21854#p21854

this way, hatari macOS is compiled with IPF support and the user need to provide the library himself.

universal binary can be found here :

https://github.com/renaudguerin/capsimage/releases/tag/v5.1

and a PR to better integrate this into HxC, could be similar in Hatari

https://github.com/jfdelnero/HxCFloppyEmulator/issues/7#issuecomment-1685084944

Now, we just need some MacOS people to work on this :)