Re: [hatari-devel] Minus key is mapped to / in Hatari when using KEYMAP_SYMBOL

On 18.2.2024 19.54, Brad Smith wrote:
On Sun, Feb 18, 2024 at 12:06 PM Eero Tamminen <oak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Regarding the patch I provided, that's needed because NVRAM setting
overrides ROM country code setting, both in EmuTOS and TOS3+.

Ah, I see now that "countrycode" isn't taking NVRAM into account. Okay,
I'll add this.

As long as the new code does not regress anything, just improves
symbolic key handling (and is not too complicated), I'm very much
interested in it.

Yes, that's really all it is. Just adding the needed language target
disambiguation to the symbolic mapping. The only thing that's complicated
about it is having to produce ~15 maps and test them.

Modifiers are going to be a problem:

* Many of the characters on Atari keyboard can be entered only by providing modifier. For example on Italian TOS, to get "é" character, one needs to press Shift-"è". Are you going to synthetize the required modifier, if entering the key "é" on host keyboard did not require Shift (and *only* then)?

* Shift needs to be passed to emulation from host, as it's one of the standard keys, but that can cause on Atari side TOS to modify the symbolic->ST-scancode mapped character. Most likely this is much less of a problem than above one, and can probably be ignored...

Do you have a scancode diagram for a Greek or Russian keyboard?
Note: release process for new EmuTOS release has started.  New version
will add support also for Romania, and previous release added Turkish

I can maybe use EmuTOS source code to figure out the scancode mappings.
Thorsten's diagrams are the ideal, but even if I could find at least a
photograph of what the ST keyboard looks like for these languages it would
help understand the layout better.

Btw. I took a look at your code.

I'm not sure whether it makes sense to add mappings from other key mappings to US one. For example accented versions of a, e and o letters are on different scancodes in different ST keymaps (e.g. "ö" on fi/no/se vs. de one). IMHO better just to leave those extra ones out.

	- Eero

PS. To easily test different TOS keymaps, use EmuTOS (512k or 1024k version) and something like: hatari --tos etos1024k.img --layout fr --tos-res ttmed --machine tt qed/qed.app

Setting just kbd layout with NVRAM is nicer for testing, as it does not change GUI language to something one does not understand. :-)