Re: [hatari-devel] Joystick jump/space setting

Am Tue, 7 Mar 2023 03:26:22 +0200

> Hi,
>
> On 6.3.2023 23.25, Matthias Arndt wrote:
> > Am Mon, 6 Mar 2023 21:09:29 +0200
> > schrieb Eero Tamminen <oak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> >> Are you saying that jump should be enabled by default (currently
> >> it's disabled by default)?
> >>
> >> Or that space key press auto-firing is intentional feature (see my
> >> next mail)?
> >
> > "Spacebar/second fire button as autofire" was a default option that
> > the original WinSTon code base already had and Hatari ported that.
> >
> > Mine was an addition and I think there was a discussion not to
> > activate officially.
> >
> > My personal choice would be to offer it is as an option, either
> > autofire or jump on the second joystick button.
>
> There is separate autofire option for fire buttons, which is visible
> in the SDL GUI.
>
> However, that has no relation / impact on the button2 *spacebar*
> emulation "autofiring".
>
> I'm asking about the latter.  Is it intentional, or just bad
> implementation?

I am puzzled about this as a user.

I always thought there was only one autofire option from the GUI and
handled in joystick subsystem back from WinSTon.

The space bar autofire was only active if there was no physical
joystick/joypad in use, only if keyboard emulation of the joystick was
active.

If a physical joystick was in use, button 2 always was the autofire
one. (Or remapped to up with my patch)

I might be wrong on WinSTon's behaviour, it's been so long ago.

I would suggest to remove it from the keyboard only joystick handler as
I think serious gamers all use physical gamepads these days and others
probably won't miss the functionality. Esp. when someone reports a
problem with this.

Best regards,
Matthias

--