Re: [hatari-devel] Joystick jump/space setting

Am Mon, 6 Mar 2023 21:09:29 +0200

> Hi,
>
> On 6.3.2023 20.41, Matthias Arndt wrote:
> > Am Mon, 6 Mar 2023 19:48:49 +0200
> > schrieb Eero Tamminen <oak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >> Looking at joystick handling code in joy.c...
> >>
> >> Although "bEnableJumpOnFire2" option is in the config file for all
> >> the joysticks, code seems to respect it only for Joystick 1, why?
> >>

> > I guess no thorough review was done when I commited that piece of
> > code long years ago?
> >
> > You may consider this as a bug ofcourse, sorry for causing it.
> >
> > The idea was that a gamepad with a dedicated jump was more useful
> > than the autofire option.
>
> Are you saying that jump should be enabled by default (currently it's
> disabled by default)?
>
> Or that space key press auto-firing is intentional feature (see my
> next mail)?

"Spacebar/second fire button as autofire" was a default option that the
original WinSTon code base already had and Hatari ported that.

Mine was an addition and I think there was a discussion not to
activate officially.

My personal choice would be to offer it is as an option, either
autofire or jump on the second joystick button.

It should be working fine except for the given bug and the missing UI
options.

Best regards,
Matthias

--