Re: [hatari-devel] MODE SENSE update patch

Why don't you guys use Andreas' code. It is well documented and willingly provided?

On Sat, Mar 19, 2022 at 10:26 AM Andreas Grabher <andreas_g86@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Am 19.03.2022 um 17:55 schrieb Uwe Seimet <Uwe.Seimet@xxxxxxxxx>:

Hi Thomas,

This patch updates mode page 0x3f to return all available pages in the order
requested by the SCSI specification (i.e. page 0 last).

IMO the implementation of mode page 0x04 is wrong. It is definitely incomplete
because it ignores some CDB data.

Looks like it had been added by you some years ago:

https://git.tuxfamily.org/hatari/hatari.git/commit/?id=a4789c56520d9bc544a

:-) Looks as if there is still room for improvements. I guess I just copied
the code for page 0x00, which is the only page that does not require the
header if I understand the SCSI specification correctly.

If there are no objections I might fix some of these issues with a
subsequent patch.

... so sure, if you now think that there's a bug in there, please just go
ahead and fix it! :-)

At least my latest patch fixes the missing header bug. Regarding the DBD bit
(the ignored CDB data) I do not intend to provide a fix, because it is less
relevant and ASV does not need it. And because, but please don't feel
offended, providing patches for Hatari is not really fun, at least for me,
because:

- All my editor configurations use spaces instead of tabs, and just for
Hatari I have to be extra careful to use tabs. I don't think that tabs are
used consistently in the Hatari sources anyway.
- As already mentioned in previous postings, the process of providing
patches is rather complicated. Too much manual work is required, by all who
are involved. When providing my latest Hatari patches I noticed how much I
have become used to PRs and UI support to review them, like it is offered by
GitHub. This must be the well-known GitHub vendor lock-in ;-).

This is why I try to limit patches to the absolutely necessary scope.

Best regards

Uwe

I know my messages are ignored here. Anyway another try: Previous emulates MODE SENSE, including the DBD bit. Everything tested for years now. No need to re-invent anything.

https://sourceforge.net/p/previous/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/src/scsi.c#l1001